Thursday, September 14, 2006

Meme-Lag

Yeah, so about seven years ago Ambrose meme-tagged me. This means I have to tell you what music I am listening to at the moment, which gets a little difficult as I have recently joined the masses and imported my digital music collection into iTunes, where I have it permanently set to shuffle. I'll try though:

"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they're not any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 6 other people to see what they're listening to."

In no particular order then, with a brief and uncalled-for commentary:

1. Dorothy at Forty - Cursive
I share Ambrose's initial disappointment with the new Cursive album, Happy Hollow - Tim Kasher's lyrics are usually so original, but this album seems to be littered with the kind of tired pseudo-existential angst I would have thought him to be beyond. This is one of the highlights though.
2. Beautiful World - Colin Hay
Heard this on an episode of Scrubs. Liked it.
3. Fucker - The Brian Jonestown Massacre
A friend introduced me to The BJM, through their Tepid Peppermint Wonderland album and the film/ documentary, Dig!, both of which are worth experiencing.
4. Leif Erikson - Interpol
Great finishing song to a great album, Turn on the Bright Lights (I don't care what they say about Joy Division having already done it better).
5. On Any Given Night - 36 Crazyfists
I'm going to see 'Crazyfists in concert tomorrow night. Very good Scremo (I think - I've never been too good with genres). New album not as good as the last, which is highly recommended (A Snow-Capped Romance).
6. Lying Through Your Teeth - Head Automatica
Shameless pop song from that Daryl Palumbo dude from Glassjaw and that Dan Nakamura dude from... everything (Gorillaz, Handsome Boy Modelling School etc.), but a lot of fun.
7. Wings for Marie (Part 1)/ 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) - Tool
Mind-blowing - all seventeen-plus minutes of it. According to Wikipedia, "Marie" is the middle name of [frontman Maynard James] Keenan's deceased mother, Judith Marie Garrison. As Keenan explains in his commentary on A Perfect Circle's aMOTION DVD, Judith suffered a stroke that left her partially paralyzed and wheelchair-bound. The two-part song, "Wings for Marie", is an opus dedicated to her. The length of time between the paralysis and her death was 27 years, or approximately 10,000 days. Great new album too (10,000 Days), much more accessible than the last one.

That's it. Unfortunately, I don't know any other untagged bloggers in order to meme-tag them...

No comments: